Chaos Rings review


Subject:
Chaos Rings review

I want to like this iPhone game.  I paid $10 for it.  I like RPG's.  I like adventures.  People claim there is a story here.
The fact that the game has 3d graphics is nice, I guess.

But... gripes:
- 3d but it isn't really used.  You have a top-down run around for most of the game I've seen so far, and there are no camera controls (not that you'd need them anyways bc there's not much 3d action happening).
- the combat involves me clicking the same button combo repetitively, would love a 'repeat last' command.
- animation is 'dance' or move forward & back.  Guess this is like FF games?
- why are there buckets of stuff everywhere?
- why can i run back & forth I'm the same hallways & encounter more & more creatures?
- why do monsters drop chocolate?  Sounds like the wrong word.  Ha
- where is the 'inventory' screen with the doll?  The equip & inventory & gene screens seem like they couldve all been one clever screen.
- genes are kinda interesting, but WHY are we absorbing them?  Is this revealed in the story?
- char's can't jump, dodge, or move much.  Basically follow the path & try to follow a VERY awkward map.
- continuous 'fade to white' with same sound effect is just lazy programming.  I was annoyed after first 3x, now it's been hundreds of times.
- no options for peace.  All interactions are either 'click next for next pre-written line of bad dialogue' or *ATTACK*.
- killing hundreds of dogs, worms, monkeys, elephants, giant spiders -- anyone care that this sends a really bad environmental message?
- not a lot of non-linear that I've seen.

Personally, I'd like more 'strategy game' aspects and less repetitive animations & forcing me (player) to make a character run around a path where all options are locked in anyway.

It's a very pretty game w/repetitive sounds, creatures,  & gameplay.  Seems like it's 1, 2, or 3 baddies vs 2 'heroes' indefinitely.

Oh yeah, and you get new nicknacks & more chocolate.

And they never EAT the chocolate?!?!

I hope someone who reads this review hears my humor written into it? Bits not just a whine-fest, really.

Use your monkey genes, fool!

rekzkarz.com

No comments: