BrassRing jobsite -- SUCKS!

Brassing SUCKS!  I'd like to say it 100x.

There was a job I wished to apply for -- finally something which is a good fit for me.  It was only posted on BrassRing's jobsite.  Against my best wishes, I signed up.

I regret the experience already.  I'd like to have a chat with the designer of the website.

Many job-sites understand that applicants are their clients as much as the companies seeking new employees -- and thus they make the sites relatively easy to submit your information.  In fact, the best sites upload your resume (pdf or doc or rtf) and scan it for info, show the applicant how their info was scanned (ie parsed), and then allow the applicant to add additional materials as needed.

BrassRing on the other hand requires the user to create a ridiculous username/password combination (including a password of 8 characters which *must* have a 'special character'), then immediately asks users to submit a 'unique number' consisting of their month and day of their birthday plus the first 6 numbers of their social security. 
Perhaps I won't get this job, but I did not submit this info -- why should I reveal my personal info to a third party that doesn't have any type of contact info on their website?!?!?

Anyway, despite all the relevant info being listed on my resume, the website asks me to manually retype my education and work experience.  What I've chosen to do to bypass much of these badly designed HR systems is to put my most recent work experience and my college, and leave everything else off.

But the end of this rant is near; the information revolution is all around us, but bad designers sabotage the revolution continuously.  Rather than me inputting our data one million times, the 'open signon' and 'open protocols' should be enabled so I can have my profile configured and appearing however I wish, have that content marked up by XML so these HR sites can peruse me and parse my data, but I can present what I wish -- and not present my social or personal info that is not relevant.  If we can't get this done with opensource, maybe Linkedin will do it for us?

The future is almost here -- or so they tell me -- but for jobhunting, it's got a ways to go yet.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

=)

Anonymous said...

I second you, the site sucks big time !

meww said...

FINALLY saw a great job for my hubby but ALAS....they were gonna do maintenance for what seemed like the nth time that week. Brassring definitely left a sour taste in my mouth and I wish I could avoid this site.

meww said...

whenever i see a good job i want to apply for, their website is on maintenance. i mean, seriously..it makes u wonder if they are trolling you..makes u wonder if this website is even legit.

Kenny McComick :p said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kenny McComick :p said...

worst site ever!

Unknown said...

I attempted to apply for a warehouse job and hit the wall preventing me from getting past the posting of my resume. Would have been nice getting a 12/hour job.

Unknown said...

Attempted to paste my resume in an attempt to get a 12/hour job...Brassring FTL.

jsdns173 said...

Absolutely agree! Another poorly designed site is the Taleo sites. I can't even begin to imagine what these sites charge HR departments to use their shitty software. But I can't help but wonder how many highly qualified people are not applying to these companies simply because the web sites are so poorly designed.

jsdns173 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

It won't let me enter my ssn worst jobsite ever

Beth said...

Same problems here. Now it won't even let me log in. Saying I have cookies disabled but I do not!

Jan said...

It's year 2017 and it still sucks.

Londonguy said...

Totally agree - shit website :=)

woodtoyZ said...

brassring is worse than gargage. It is a waste of time and bloodpressure. ANY company lame enough to throw that at an applicant deserves to go belly up.

chris said...

It's 2020 and it STILL SUCKS. Can't auto-populate for sh*t and asks the same questions in multiple parts of the application process. If I didn't really like the job I was applying for I would have scrapped it.